The problem that plagues thousands of writer and author websites is poor ‘About Pages’. They don’t engage the visitor by revealing some history, experience, passion and direction.
Statistically speaking the about page of a website or blog is one of THE most viewed pages on the entire website, aside from the home page itself.
This means you want your author About Page to really sing and capture peoples interest, so they hang around, read your content, engage with you and then hopefully come back again.
Here’s a few tips to help you craft an effective About Page for your author website or blog.
It’s important to know what readers want from your About Page, so they become engaged with you. Here’s an outline of what to include below.
Be sure to include the following …
- A nice clear professional author photo
- Introduce yourself
- You are a published author, mention your books, experience and a little of your personal story
- What they can expect from your website or blog
- How they can get value from reading your blog and being your follower
- How they can make contact and connect with you
Make sure you don’t just …
- Prattle on about how great you are and all your achievements. You’ll come across as a blow horn and they won’t be back
- Have one long essay that isn’t broken up for easy reading. This is not a novel or new ‘self-help’ manuscript. You’ve done that. This is your About Page to present yourself and make a first impression to new visitors. It’s part of marketing yourself well
Make it easy to read
You can break up your about page with sub headings in your about page for easy reading and scanning. Finish off with a section with an action item that prompts people to take action and move them to the next thing, rather than leaving them to roam aimlesly around your website, risking them losing focus and leaving.
Consider headings or sections such as;
- How I got started / my personal story …
- What you can find on this website or blog
- Start here with a free … or To find out more …
Notice I didn’t mention ‘BUY MY BOOK!’. That’s because people need to know, like and trust you before they invest in you, or in this case, buy your book. With the exceptions of JK Rowling or Stephen King, the upfront blatant hard sell on a megaphone never works and only turns people away. Draw people into your author platform by engaging them, helping them, entertaining them and prove your expertise or value by offering content.
Some examples of good About Pages is Tim Ferris, Dean Koontz and Kathy Reichs. These authors offer a variety of information about them that’s easy to read. Whether you are a long standing author or a new author published yesterday, ask yourself;
‘How can I make my About Page engaging and interesting?’
Doing these things not only on your author website About Page, but consistently over your author platform, will entice others to find out more about you and follow you. Then when your book is available, that all too familiar barrier of the unknown is broken in place for book sales.
Take 5 minutes to improve your About Page now!