You want a reliable and trustworthy editor without the high costs and without being ripped off, right?
We’ll help you take your manuscript from draft to publish ready
Our editors have worked for over 20 years in the publishing industry and have worked as editors for some of the major publishers, including Penguin and Scholastic.
Did you know that the two most common complaints from Amazon readers are poor editing and bad grammar?
Book editing can often seem quite intimidating. This is why it’s important for you to know right from the very beginning that the editor is on your side.
It’s essential for the editor to establish trust with you and to ensure that you know the objective is to make the book the best it can possibly be, and will benefit from constructive feedback after being read by another pair of professional, objective eyes.
We have two book editing services to select from.
Standard book editing service
This is a 1 pass process.
You will receive your original manuscript with track changes and comments, plus a clean copy of the manuscript with all track changes accepted.
This completes the edit.
Comprehensive book editing service
This is a 2 pass process.
Once you receive your manuscript back and have accepted or declined the changes, you send it back to your editor for a second review. From here, your editor will address your feedback, questions and comments.
Once this second pass is complete, your editor will pass back your final clean manuscript .doc to you completed along with any final recommendations.
Children’s picture book manuscript assessment + editing service
Turnaround time: 3 – 5 business days for up to 1000 words.
Turnaround time: 5 – 7 business days for between 1001 to 2000 words.
Children’s picture books with between 500 and 1000 words, are considered the industry standard. If your manuscript is outside of these word brackets listed above please email us using the orange button below so that we can provide a custom quote for you.
Editing children’s picture books requires a specialist editor who understands rhythm and rhyme using various word and sentence structures.
Editing is a two-pass process where your editor will cover structure, rhythm, rhyme, point of view and characterisation. This also includes email support for answering questions.
Both book editing options include all of the following…
Both fiction & nonfiction manuscripts
- Unequivocal errors of grammar and language usage are corrected. Where the language is awkward, overwritten, inflated or difficult to understand, these passages are brought to the author’s attention for reworking, or suggestions offered.
- Where the text is overly wordy, or contains redundancies and repetition, alternatives are suggested, or the author will be invited to rework.
- Attention is paid to punctuation, grammar, hyphenation, spelling, syntax, abbreviations/acronyms and formatting for both accuracy and consistency. Dialogue is also checked for correct formatting.
- The author will be asked to clarify any obscure meanings, and to explain any expressions of words not in common usage.
- Where the work uses references from other publications, permission may need to be obtained. This is brought to the author’s attention.
- Characterisation: how do the characters feel and react? Do they act consistently? Do they develop realistically?
- The plot: does each chapter advance the storyline? Do any minor storylines cross over the main storyline? Is there a statisfying resolution?
- Structure: is the first chapter in the right place? Is the final chapter appropriate to the storyline? Do any sections feel redundant?
- Dialogue: does the dialogue sound natural or is it stilted? Is the punctuation in the dialogue appropriate for the characters speech patterns?
- Point of view: is the point of view consistent? Does the chosen point of view work?
- Objective: has the author made clear the objective of the work? Has that objective been achieved?
- Tone and style: is the authorial voice appropriate for the subject matter? If format/informal, is that style maintained consistently?
- Structure: how is the manuscript constructed? Is the structure of sections and chapters consistent?
- Syntax: how is the writing constructed? Is the meaning clear or obscure?
Both book editing options include:
- Your book editing will be performed by an industry professional, unbiased copyeditor. It’s your book, our editor will not re-write things, just edit your words.
- Your manuscript with track changes
- Your manuscript with comments
- You’ll get to work one-on-one with an editor who cares
- You’ll be able to communicate with your editor via email and Skype. You won’t be left in the dark
- Craft and polish your manuscript ready for the book store shelf
- You’ll receive constructive feedback from your editor as you work together in a supportive environment where questions are welcome
We believe self-published authors and independent publishers deserve the same treatment as authors from the big trade publishers. Set yourself apart from other self-published authors and sit confidently beside the big guys, without the price tag.
Pricing starts from just $145
Your project will be accurately quoted, based on word count and the type of book.
Get your free evaluation. To determine which level is indicated, send in the first 5 pages of your manuscript for a free editorial evaluation plus we’ll provide a sample by editing your first page for free.
How it works
1. After you’ve submitted your quote confirmation form we’ll be in touch to confirm a scheduled start date.
2. You can choose your preferred editing service, or we can advise whether a comprehensive or basic edit is needed. This is so you don’t pay any more than you have to.
3. Once the level of book editing required has been confirmed, you’ll be emailed a secure PayPal invoice.
4. Editing will begin as scheduled, and when the first pass has been completed, the manuscript will be returned to you. You will then have the opportunity to review and otherwise accept the suggested edits. This is also a chance to make light revisions. There is no charge for taking in those light revisions. Please note that each additional revision after the second allotted revision will be implemented an the hourly rate of $60.
Book editing services FAQs
Q. What type of payment do you accept?
A. All payments for book editing services are made via secure PayPal, which also accepts all major credit cards. Don’t worry; you don’t need a PayPal account to pay. Payments also available via bank transfer(Australians only).
Q. What information do I need before ordering?
A. The order process begins with completing your quote confirmation form. We’ll be in touch to confirm a start date, your final project quote and provide an invoice. To get started we’ll need your manuscript in a ‘.doc, .docx, rtf’ file format.
Q. How long does editing take?
A. The average comprehensive edit takes from 3 to 4 weeks for 60,000 words, once complete you will receive the first edit pass for review.
Q. Are there any privacy or non-disclosure agreements to sign?
A. No documents to sign, although when completing your project form, you’ll be required to tick to confirm you have read the terms and conditions page before submitting. All your information is kept confidential including all email correspondence, unless you specify otherwise.
Q. I have a question not covered here. How can I contact you?
A. We would love to answer your question. Simply contact us here and we’ll be more than happy to help.
Q. How many changes can I make?
A. Up to two rounds of revision are available in the comprehensive editing option. Significant changes or additional content that is requested to be added will incur an additional fee charged at an hourly rate of $50.